New Apartment? Make It Feel Like Home With These Tips
When you move into a new apartment, it is exciting – no matter if it’s your first apartment or your fourth apartment. A new apartment is like a fresh beginning.
And of course, you want to make your new apartment feel like home – whatever that means to you. So, how do you go about doing that? Really, it’s not that hard when you do just a few of these things!
- Give Your Apartment a Good Cleaning: Of course, your apartment was cleaned before you moved in, but to make it feel like yours – go ahead and do it again. Clean the floors, windows, cupboards, and cabinets – and all the other places in your new space – and try to do it before you start unpacking. This will ensure that everything is being stored away in clean conditions.
- Set Up Your Furniture: Next, it’s time to set up all of your big furniture. This may take a bit of time as you find the perfect location for things – especially larger pieces like sofas and beds. But, once you have your furniture set up, things will really start to feel like home – and it will allow you to move onto the smaller pieces to bring in more of your personal style.
- Have Good Lighting: Lighting is important. While ceiling lights are great, you’re going to want to have some lamps to help illuminate the darker spots in your space. Be sure to check out what the lighting is like at different times of the day, as this can be helpful in determining exactly what you need.
- Display Your Personal Mementos: Now it’s time to get out your personal mementos. Think about photos, art, knickknacks, and other collectibles that will be displayed – and where you’d like to put them. When they’re out where you can see them – it will definitely make it feel like your space.
- Get Some Groceries and Cook Your Favorite Meal: Do you have a favorite meal? Then it’s time to go get some groceries and cook it in your apartment. There’s something special about cooking in a new apartment that really solidifies the feeling that it’s home. Additionally, having your pantry stocked with your favorite foods brings a certain sense of comfort, too.
- Clear Your Clutter: Moving can be messy with boxes all over the place and trying to find a home for all of your things. But as soon as you can clear the clutter – do it. Get rid of the boxes as soon as possible, and if you’ve brought things with you that you don’t need or want – it’s time to get rid of them, too.
- Make It Smell Like Home: If you’ve cooked your favorite meal already, your new apartment may already feel like home. But if you haven’t – it’s time to bring some scents to your space. Candles or essential oil diffusers can do that easily!
- Explore Your Neighborhood: If you’ve moved to a new neighborhood, it’s time to go explore. Get to know your local small businesses, such as the dry cleaner or coffee shop, and check out some of the local restaurants. This will also give you the opportunity to connect with neighbors – who also probably hang out at these places.
- Enjoy Your New Space: Finally, kick your feet up and enjoy your new space. Making a bowl of popcorn, grabbing a blanket, and watching a movie in your new apartment is the best feeling around – because it’s YOURS!
Making a new apartment feel like home just takes time! So once you’ve checked a few of these things off of your to-do list – you will love the way your new place feels!