How to Form Healthy Habits
It’s not easy to create new habits, but it is possible. And building healthy habits can be rewarding and life-changing for you as well as those around you. Let’s explore some practical ways to form healthy habits so that you can enjoy a happier, healthier lifestyle.
- Be clear on the habit you want to establish: The first thing you need to do is be really clear on the habit that you want to build. It’s a lot easier when there is only one specific thing in mind, so try and avoid creating multiple habits at once.
- Write it down: Once you know exactly what it is that you want to do, write down your goal for this new healthy habit along with how many days per week or month that you would like to complete it by. For example, “I want to go running every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from March 15th until October 12th.” Being specific helps you stay accountable.
- Get started: Now that you have an action plan set up, it’s time to get started. Make sure the environment around you supports this new change; otherwise, nothing will come of it. For example, do you need quiet? If possible, choose a place where no distractions exist, such as a designated spot in your home or outside. This will help to increase the chances of success since it’ll be easier not to give in to temptation.
- Set a time: The next step is to set a specific time for this new habit. Again, make sure that it doesn’t conflict with anything else you have going on, and try to be as consistent as possible. By doing this, you’re training your brain and body to automatically do this activity at a certain time, which will make it second nature over time.
- Remain motivated: Let’s talk about motivation! What keeps you going when things get tough? Make sure you have some sort of incentive or reward system in place so that you can feel good about your progress. And be sure you are rewarding yourself for the little and big steps you make along the way.
- Enlist the help of others: It may help to find an accountability partner. This could be someone who has the same goal as you or someone who will regularly check in on your progress and support you when needed. Additionally, make sure you are surrounding yourself with people who have a positive attitude. It’s easy to be brought down by a “Negative Nellie” – and that’s not what you need.
- Prepare for roadblocks: Know that you are most likely going to experience setbacks along the way. It’s important not to have an “all or nothing” attitude when it comes to your new habit. Instead, mentally prepare for these setbacks – and create some backup plans that will help you overcome them.
- Be patient: The most important thing is to be patient with yourself and know that it takes time to form new habits. Rome wasn’t built in a day, so don’t expect everything to change overnight. Celebrate each small victory along the way, and you’ll eventually reach your goal.
All too often, people focus on breaking bad habits instead of forming good ones. But if you want to tackle something big – creating healthy habits is the way to go. When you frame things in a positive manner, you are more likely to accomplish what you set out to do – and that includes establishing good habits!