Fun First Date Ideas
Has it been some time since you’ve been on a first date? Have you made plans, or are you stumped? Are you nervous your idea will be a bust?
First off, give yourself a pat on the back! You took the first step and asked them out. It’s not as easy as it sounds, and you did it!
Not only did you ask, they said, “Yes.”
Now…what to do?
You probably already know quite a bit about them, or at least enough to get some ideas percolating.
Are they sporty? Adventurous? A music lover? A foodie? Do they like glitz and glamour? Or are they down to earth?
Relax and don’t overthink. Keep it simple.
Your best bet is an interactive activity. This allows the two of you the opportunity to do something while simultaneously learning more about the other.
Outdoor Activities: Get your blood pumping in the fresh air and sunshine. Studies have shown that being outside lowers stress and anxiety. And it makes people happier, which means your date is already off to a great start.
- Hit the beach
- Kayak, pedal boats, aqua trikes, paddleboards, water trampoline at Pedals and Paddles
- Take a walk
- Under the stars
- At sunrise or sunset
- On the boardwalk
- Visit Barnegat Lighthouse “Old Barney”
Food: It’s true; the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach.
- Eat a 3-course dinner…at different places
- Cook or bake together
- Yum – homemade fondue
- Find the best desserts/appetizers in town
- Experience a wine tasting
- Go on a brewery tour
Spend Hours Meandering:
- Used bookstores
- Flea markets
- Farmer’s markets
- Thrift stores
- Garage sales
- Estate sales
- Antique stores
- Open houses
- Record stores
Head-to-Head Activities: Is there a competitive side to the two of you? If so, bring it on!
- Mini golf
- Frisbee golf
- Laser Tag
- Driving range or batting cage
- Skeet shooting
- Axe throwing
- Race go-karts
- Play pool or darts
- Trampoline park
- Amusement park
- Roller skating
- Indoor skydiving
- Horseback riding
- Hot air balloon ride
- Ride a mechanical bull
- Aura reading
- Psychic reading
- Escape Room
- Donate blood
- Plant flowers, trees, and vegetable gardens
- Sing at a nursing home
- Visit an animal shelter and love on some pets who need attention
Music and the Arts:
- Jazz bar
- Live country and bluegrass at Albert Music Hall
- Comedy club
- Live concert
- Poetry reading
- Art gallery
- Laser show at the planetarium
Take a Class:
The Big and Little Screen:
- Midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show – remember to dress to impress and bring the props
- Pick a number between 1-50 and watch Rotten Tomatoes corresponding Worst Summer Movies of All Time
- Drive-in theater
- Trilogy movie marathon
- Grab a movie from the bottom of the Walmart movie bin – what you get is what you watch
- Make TikToks
- Play games
- Zoom with friends
- Head-to-head video gaming night
- Learn things from YouTube videos
- How to do a cartwheel
- How to whistle with your fingers
- How to juggle
- How to make balloon animals
- Magic tricks
- Fold an origami crane
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (and boats):
- Car show
- Riverboat lunch or dinner cruise on the River Lady
- Pine Creek Railroad exhibit
- Aviation Hall of Fame Museum of New Jersey
Just in case, have a backup plan. This will allow you to change course if your initial idea doesn’t seem to be going over too well.
First dates can be stressful, but they don’t have to be! Pick a great activity, make sure to laugh, be yourself, and most of all, have fun!