10 Things to Do By Yourself
“The best part about being alone is that you really don’t have to answer to anybody. You do what you want.” – Justin Timberlake
Sounds pretty good, right? Spending time by yourself is important. It’s been shown to give your brain a chance to replenish itself. It allows you to improve your productivity. It gives you a chance to think deeply. It can allow you to come up with solutions to problems you may be facing.
And it can also just be relaxing and fun. Who couldn’t use some time to relax and enjoy themselves? Of course, if you’re wondering what you could be doing by yourself, here are some suggestions that you might find enjoyable.
- Go for a hike or spend some time outdoors: Getting out into nature is always good for the soul, and taking a hike is a great solo activity. You can move at your own pace, spend as much time as you like enjoying the scenery, and breathe in plenty of fresh air. Of course, make sure you head out for your hike fully prepared. Bring your phone, a compass, a backpack with some food and water and anything else you think you may need.
- Take a trip: If you’ve never traveled solo before, this may seem like a big step, but solo travel can be extremely rewarding. You get to choose where you’re going. You plan your activities. You have the freedom of not having to worry about what others want to do.
- Take a class or lessons: Have you always wanted to learn Spanish? Or how to cook traditional Thai food? Perhaps you want to learn how to play golf? Then take a class or lessons! What better way to advance your personal interests.
- Volunteer: Sign up to volunteer for an organization you feel passionate about. There are all sorts of groups that need assistance and will appreciate your time or skills.
- Tackle a DIY project: Is there a project around your home that you’ve been wanting to tackle? Now is the time. Even if it’s a skill you may not have mastered, you can spend time learning and completing a DIY project. Perhaps you could refinish a piece of furniture or change the oil in your car. There are all sorts of DIY projects that range from easy to hard depending on how much you want to do.
- Start a blog: If you enjoy writing, and you’re looking for an outlet for your thoughts, a blog may be the way to go. You can create a blog that’s just for you or go out on a limb and share it with the world. You can keep your blog general or focus it on your passions. The blog is all yours – so have fun with it!
- Enjoy a nice dinner: Lots of people feel awkward about dining alone, but if there’s a hot new restaurant that you’ve been wanting to try or a specific cuisine that you enjoy that friends and family do not, then make a reservation. Enjoy every bite of your special meal!
- See a movie: Sure you can watch a movie at home, but why not head to the movie theater, and see a film on the big screen? Grab your favorite snack and sit back to enjoy a great movie.
- Declutter your home: While this may not sound like a fun way to spend your alone time, the sense of satisfaction you’ll feel when you’re done will be worth it. Recycle and donate as much as possible and enjoy the additional space you now have at home.
- Head to the spa: Plan a day at the spa to truly relax and unwind. Book yourself all of the pampering treatments and come home feeling rested when you’re finished.
Spending time with yourself can be a great way to recharge. It gives you a chance to do what you want to do – which can be good for the soul – and can lead to deep personal fulfillment.